Australian Avocado and its health benefits
In Australia, the favourable climate allows us to enjoy avocados nearly year-round. The coastal regions of Queensland, Western Australia, and New South Wales are the main regions where Australia's avocado varieties are grown. To help you get to know the different varieties of Australian avocados and their health benefits, we’ve put together this brief guide.
Australian Avocado Varieties
Australian avocados come in three major varieties : hass, shepard, and reed avocados. Each variety has its own unique properties.
Hass avocados make up more than 75% of the avocados that are grown here in Australia. A hass avocado has a pear shape and rich green skin that deepens to a dark purple-brown colour once the avocado has been picked and is allowed to ripen. The small seed means that there is even more avocado for you to enjoy.
Shepard avocados are found only in Australia. They have a glossy green skin and a taste that is slightly buttery with a hint of nutty flavour. These avocados do not turn brown after they've been cut, unlike hass avocados.
Reed avocados are the largest of all avocado varieties with a large seed. In comparison to the other varieties, reeds have flesh that is somewhat paler than other avocados. The skin of a reed avocado is dark green, thick and glossy.
Avocado Health Benefits
Avocados are unlike other types of fruit. The majority of fruits are high in carbohydrates. On the other hand, avocados are high in health fats. Many health studies have already shown that they have some major benefits of on health. Here are the biggest health benefits of avocados that have been proven by scientific research.
1. Avocados are high in vitamins. Avocados contain high amounts of vitamin K, folate, vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, and vitamin E.
2. Avocados contain more potassium than bananas. Potassium in an important nutrient that helps to maintain the electrical gradient in the body's cells. In addition, scientific studies have shown that having a high potassium intake can help to lower your blood pressure.
3. Avocados are high in monounsaturated fatty acids. Avocados have a lot of fat. However, this fat is oleic acid, which is a monounsaturated fat. Oleic acid has been proven to reduce inflammation and has beneficial effects on genes that have been linked to cancer.
4. Avocados are high in antioxidants. Avocados contain high amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin, which are nutrients that are important for high health. They can help to reduce the risk of cataracts, as well as, macular degeneration.
5. The healthy fat in avocados helps you to absorb the nutrients from other foods. A study has found that adding avocado or avocado oil to either a salad or salsa can help to increase antioxidant absorption by 2.6 to 15 times.
Order Avocados From Simply Fresh Fruit
Simply Fresh Fruit supplies wholesale fresh fruit, vegetables, eggs, and other products delivered fresh daily to your venue. With free delivery, our prices are competitive to the local market and we can supply the freshest produce possible, including locally-grown avocados.
To request an account, contact us on 03 8787 7087 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our easy online ordering form will allow you to place orders as soon as you have been approved as a vendor.